Friday, March 31, 2006

Part 8: 27th & 28th March – Washing Day & University

Monday 27th March

It’s washing day today. No, really. A good day for it, too. Bright, sunny ... blah, blah.

Despite the extreme precautions I’m taking, I’m a bit annoyed to discover a bite on one arm. It’s not a bad one, but I can’t believe it happened. Also, both arms are beginning to flake somewhat. But I put that down to my lapse of memory the day I visited Port Louis.

I was rather disturbed, too, to find more little rodent-manufactured “calling cards” on the floor this morning – including one next to my bed (yuk!!). I very much regret not taking the Indian-Irish family seriously now. I will endeavour, this morning, to locate a suitable deterrent at the good-old Spar. Of course, that also involves running the gauntlet with the security guard. With luck it will be one of the others on duty today and hopefully by next time we meet his problem will have been sorted out, or else forgotten about

I’ve just been out shopping. The guard was his usual cheery self – no mention of yesterday’s conversation about money-lending. Strange, or what?

I didn’t get anything for rats. All they had was some Chinese concoction that deals with them “humanely” and “hygienically” by first blinding them so they run outside desperate to find light, and then doing them in. Much as I dislike the idea of tiny footsteps roaming around the house – or over me while I try to sleep - I can’t bear to think of that happening to them. As far as I know they, like most of the other wildlife here, are harmless enough. I suppose you could think of them as large field mice. Not your plague-carrying sewer rats. Anyway, we’ll just have to see how things go.

I also called in at “Casa Pizza” and discussed some excursions, so that is now underway. It is important that things are set up in time for Caroline & Pete arriving, as they have only one week in which to cram the Mauritian experience!

There are lots of tree-prunings – some very large – scattered on the sides of the road into the village. Yesterday I saw a gang of workers armed with chain saws butchering one fine old specimen. As we were returning from our tour yesterday I commented on it to Pravin, assuming he would say they always prune the trees at this time of year. No. Apparently it is one more special measure aimed at tackling this mosquito pest.

Another thing strikes me on nearing my abode. When I first arrived here there were several new villas in the very early stages of construction. Now, after a little over two weeks, it seems to me that many of them are already getting close to completion. That rate of progress is astounding; and rather alarming. How long will it be before there is no greenery left in FeF and surrounds? Still that’d bring one bonus, I guess: no greenery = no mosquitoes.

It’s turning out to be an “at-home” day again today. After yesterday that suits me. Besides, I have some ironing to do yet. Tomorrow I may be visiting the British Council, so I’ll need to be reasonably smart (not to mention hot, sticky and sweaty). All the same, I should be able to fit in a wander down the beach for a bit of a paddle later!

There may well be NO photos from today – oh, I tell a lie. Maybe just two: I returned from the shops to find “Gordon”’s little lad on the side of the breakfast bar. His name is “Graham”, I believe:

And meet his twin sister, “Gladys”:

Not very big, is she? There is a gecko there – honest! I’m getting quite fond of them now. Some people keep them as pets, so I suppose looked at that way, it ain’t too bad.

Didn’t do much at all this afternoon except read. When I finally wandered down to the beach it was in longs. And I got caught by some sharp showers.

Mme at “Casa Pizza” had hinted that if I were to call back this evening she may be able to let me know details of price etc for the two excursions I asked her to book. I didn’t really want to eat there yet again so soon, so decided I’d have an early dinner at “The Sea Breeze” then pop into “Casa Pizza” for a beer and enquire after progress.

Dinner consisted of a Green Island rum (with ice and lemon), duck in five spices, green vegetables in garlic and plain boiled rice. Nothing else.

Now here’s a thing: at one time, the depths of bad taste in music was epitomised by such classics as “Tie a Yellow Ribbon (Round the Old Oak Tree)”, “Y Viva L’Espagna”, “Throw a Chicken in the Air” (or was it “Agadoo” by “Agadoo”?) and anything by Tom Jones. Not now though. Now, it’s “Da-da dum-dum, da-da dum-dum, da-da dum-dum deeeeeee”. Why so many users stick with the default “Nokia Tune” is a complete mystery to me. [Incidentally, did you know that it is a passage from a famous classical concerto for Spanish Guitar? Its composer must surely be turning in his grave. Unless of course he’s posthumously raking in the royalties!] You see it in crowded places like airport departure lounges all the time, don’t you? Someone’s fires up. Aah, but whose is it? Two dozen pairs of hands suddenly begin frantically rummaging in their owners’ hand-luggage. And the one who wins the lucky dip then feels it essential to let the entire airport know. He (usually - could be she) might as well borrow the Flight Information Person’s PA microphone: “Bing-Bong…! No – I’m NOT on the plane yet. No. Daddy won’t be home till way past Diddums’s bedtime because the **** airline have gone and cancelled the flight, haven’t they…. Or some such nonsense. And so it is, also, in places such as “The Sea Breeze” in Flic en Flac. Well, to be fair, minus the high-volume one-sided conversation. They do tend to be rather more discrete here, I have to say. Still, doesn’t it make you glad you lived long enough to experience the 21st Century? I wonder which Indian – or possibly Pacific – Ocean “desert” island paradise will be the last to cave in and admit OBNOKIA-usage?

[AH. Of course there is also “Sex Bomb” - or as it sounds when sung by locals: “Zex Baum”. Now I had conveniently forgotten that one]

And so to “Casa Pizza”. No further info on the trips yet. Mme reckons she should hear by tomorrow. Had a beer and an espresso. Apart from the Norwegian family (naturally) I was the only one there. Things seem very quiet. Normally CP does well on a Monday she maintains, because hers is one of the few restaurants open. (Well I know for a fact that “Sea Breeze” is open because I’ve just eaten there!).

The Norse went swimmimg with dolphins today. Really enjoyed it apparently. Again though, it’s not the kind of activity you can comfortably engage in by yourself. For one thing it costs an arm and a flipper.

Ah. Mme must have had word at some stage while I was having my drinks because as I was settling up she said that my Friday trip is fixed, and that she would let me know the price tomorrow. I think to save hassle I will eat there too. At least it will give her one customer!

So, apart from returning here to type this up, that’s about it for today.

Sleep well. I’m not convinced I will.

Tuesday 28th

All dressed up and nowhere to go? Well, sort of.

Well you never can tell, can you? I slept perfectly soundly, and when I checked first thing today there were no new signs of late-night visitations. They must be psychic, these little critters, and got wind of the “humane” solution I threatened them with.

And the bites? Well, they come and go in small numbers, but so far they haven’t given me any real problems. I slap on the “Systral” at the slightest inkling of an itch, and maybe take an antihistamine.

Today, I believe, I am to visit the British Council in Rose Hill, which is some five minutes drive from the university. Of course that is for this afternoon. This morning I have my 3-hour stint with the undergrads. Still, it means poshing up a bit compared with my usual sloppy attire. Shoes, SOCKS, long-sleeved shirt (at least it will be by the time I get there) and tie (ditto comment there!). Oh, and jacket. Think I’ll carry that.

On the way out to the security lodge I notice (for the umpteenth time) that one of the neighbouring apartments is displaying a sign: “Villa à Vendre”, and a telephone number. I’m almost tempted – I wonder how much they go for? More than I can afford that’s for sure.

So we set off on our usual half-hour commute through Beaux Songes, Palma and Quatre Bornes, towards Reduit, where is situated the university. I notice – as on every occasion I’ve previously passed it - a small roadside enterprise: “Zorro & Son. Cold-store” the sign says. As I’ve mentioned before, it’s these little touches that you don’t find in the official guidebooks and brochures. Even the LPG is disappointingly thin on them. More of that sort of thing would really help to spice-up their descriptions. At least I think so.

At the university Souda asks if I received his email. I hadn’t. Apparently we’re booked in with the British Council. For next Tuesday. Ah. So I got all over-dressed for nothing. AND I’m going to have to go through it all again next week! Never mind, there is a consolation prize. When I mention something to do with making arrangements to meet on Thursday (my next regular university day), he points out that Thursday is a public holiday. So I have yet another day off! Wow. How am I ever going to explain all this to the big-wigs up at Manchester? I think I will describe it all as “fact-finding” and leave it at that.

I met Vimi again. She is the lady who is hoping to come to Manchester to study, and whose aunt lives practically at the end of our garden. We discussed plans for when Caroline & Pete arrive, and she is very keen to meet them and to invite us to her home. When I mentioned that we are planning a trip into the capital she very kindly offered to accompany us. In her words: “I have no teaching that day and it gets very boring here”. That is not quite what she meant, methinks: I know from speaking to her earlier that she has been running around everywhere attending to all the same kinds of annoying trivia that get us so ground-down up north. So it should be a welcome relief for her. We will travel there by bus and she will get her “Daddy” to drive the two of them and hopefully we will rendezvous on the Waterfront. I will endeavour to get hold of one of these SIM cards for my phone to make that process a little easier.

Vimi, like everyone I have met here, is absolutely charming. I can thoroughly recommend this country to anyone. If you do get the chance to visit, grab it with both hands.

So by the time we’ve had a cup of tea, some Indian sweets and a couple of nibbles (and this is after a cooked lunch, mind) it is yet again time for me to meet up with the driver, and we are

”Bungalow-ward-bound” once more.

So now I’m whiling away the remainder of the afternoon typing this update, and pondering what to do with my unexpected extra day’s holiday!

And I suppose this evening it will have to be my old haunt “Cassa Pizzaun autre fois, so I can establish what has been booked in the way of excursions. It’s a hard life.

Well, I just got back from “Cassa Pizza”. I discussed various trip requirements with the lady who appears to be second-in-command, and who speaks very good English. She pointed out that the tour operator trips are expensive for one person, because the cost of the vehicle is split between the passengers. Also, if you include lunch at St Aubin it is rather fancy, and you would do better to get a cheaper lunch in one of the ordinary places.

Now it turns out CP run two Landrovers of their own, which they use for trips, and which makes it cheaper; plus you get the advantage of lots of space!

I provisionally booked the various trips for us on Wed 12th April: “Blue Safari” (submarine) & ”Captain Nemo’s seabed Walk” for Pete & me; tea plantation, vanilla & anthurium nursery etc for Caroline. All to be by Landrover.

Also, I said I would take the Landrover trips to Pamplemousses and the Tea place etc myself on Friday of this week and Wednesday next, to see what they are like.

I paid Rs2500, for the transport for one trip. Admission fees I agreed I would pay there. I asked her for a receipt. It wasn’t till I got back here that I realised she’d made it out as though for the Tea plantation trip, whereas I was expecting it to be for Pamplemousses (botanical gardens). I don’t suppose it matters but I’d better just check with them tomorrow which trip I’m actually down for on Friday! She has my email address in case there is any problem (such as the landrover not being available) and I will call in tomorrow with the telephone number here.

I plan to go to Quatre Bornes by bus tomorrow to the Orchard shopping centre where I’m told I can get one of those SIM cards for my mobile. We’ll see anyway. Not sure exactly where the Orchard is, but I have a sneaking suspicion we may pass it on our way through, going to the university; in which case it’s right on the main high street.

Incidentally, at the table next to me there was a couple from Scotland (at least the lady was, judging by her accent), and they had a little oriental girl with them. I know she is three because they told Mme. Now, when we were on holiday last summer in Italy, at the hotel where we were staying there was a British (I think) couple with a little oriental girl. I remember because whenever any music was being played in the forecourt area she would dance away to it. Now I don’t suppose it could POSSIBLY be … No. Even I don’t go in for coincidences on that scale! Maybe the family in Italy weren’t British after all. Interestingly, I got the distinct impression that the man’s been here for a while on his own working (possibly with a company) and that the mum and daughter had just arrived today to join him. Eavesdropping - as one does - I also gathered that they may stay for a couple of months. Now couldn’t we do that?

And … Monsieur at “Casa Pizza” came over to me at one stage and said that since I was such a loyal regular, if I wanted anything different from what is on the menu (which is good, but a bit limited in scope) I could ask him an hour or two beforehand and they would do it especially for me. Isn’t that nice!

See you.

No comments: