Saturday, October 27, 2007

Saturday 27th October - Zhongyuan University South Campus

Today I taught from 2.00pm till 3.40pm and from 4.00pm till 5.40pm.

Jennifer, the textile teacher who sits in my lectures to help with any difficult translations, collected me at the hotel and we went by taxi. I remembered to take my camera with me on this occasion, and during the breaks and after the class we had photo-shoots ...







What a super bunch of lovely young people they are. And to think they gave up their Saturday afternoon (and will give up their Sunday morning, tomorrow) just to hear some old fogey from England bore on at them about Textile Testing! I'm really looking forward to welcoming them to Manchester in the next year or so. I'm sure they'll do us proud.

Because we had some time to spare before the bus for the return trip to town, Jennifer showed me around the campus. It is quite a lot bigger than I'd expected. This is the students' shop:




Above: the refectory.


Above: the ping-pong - naturally.





Jennifer, with the Textiles Building in the background. My lectures are not in that building, but in the separate International School, where all the English classes are held, several hundred metres away.

We caught the bus back just after 6.00pm. On the way, it started to drizzle. While I have been typing this, it has turned into a steady heavy downpour which I can hear splattering on the carpark six floors below. Jennifer told me that it had not rained since about September. That was very obvious from the bare earth and the low level of the lake. So this will be most welcome, I'm sure. It could also spell the end of summer: I may well yet need those woollies I brought.

I wonder if the rain will have had any effect on the smog.

Zai Jian,

Mike

No comments: