Monday, October 13, 2008

Please support the Ghurka Justice Campaign

My father, Harry (1913-2005), served in Burma in WW2. He was a notoriously shy man, not given to hyperbolae, but he left us in no doubt of his immense respect for the Ghurka soldiers who fought so loyally alongside him. He never spoke much about their experiences either, and we lucky ones here at home can only imagine what they must have gone through together on our behalf; what it must have been like surviving and fighting in the jungle, sometimes hand-to-hand, for so many years.

To the best of my knowledge the Ghurkas' total support for our small nation, so many thousand miles away, has never once wavered. I hope you will agree with me (and Joanna Lumley) that full recognition of the incredible part played by these good people in safeguarding our freedom and way of life is long, long overdue. It would not, in my view, be an overstatement to say the fact it has not happened thus far is a matter of national disgrace. It certainly does not make me proud to call myself "British".

I do hope you will sign the petition, and ask as many of your family and friends as possible to do the same. Let's end this injustice. Please go to http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/ and register your support now.

Thank you so much.

Mike

No comments: