Saturday, September 29, 2007

Wine-making 2007: update

Hmm. The wine failed to start fermenting. On Saturday evening (22nd Sept) I put in a couple of crushed campden tablets and about four teaspoons of pectolase. Then I left the tub tightly covered overnight before adding yeast on Sunday morning. By Wednesday it still hadn't got going. It seems I hadn't allowed the sulphur dioxide to escape - or at any rate, I over-did the campden. So I promptly loosened the lid and ordered a new batch of yeast. I left it for a further couple of days before risking adding the second "starter". I'm relieved to report that all's well again: it's bubbling away merrily and filling the house with its sweet fragrance (or not).

... And doesn't it look appetising ...?















I'm planning to do the pressing this Saturday afternoon, 6th October. Anyone who fancies popping round for a shufty is more than welcome.


And, as promised, here are some
FAQs about the vines and winemaking.


Cheers for now,

Mike

No comments: