Thursday, February 16, 2012

Allotment Thief? Poltergeist? ... Or joker?

I hadn't been to the plot for a week or two, owing to bad weather and other commitments. When I arrived there this morning, at first all seemed normal ... until I entered the shed. Then I noticed that a cane was lying at an angle from floor to ceiling. I couldn't remember it being like that the last time I was there. On further inspection I realised it was a cane that is normally suspended horizontally from cup-hooks, just below the ceiling. I use it for hanging odd bits and pieces from. (In fact, you can see it in the photo below, which was taken after I'd put it back in place.) So had I accidentally knocked it down on my previous visit? I didn't think it likely. Nor had there been any significant wind since then, that might conceivably have rocked the shed so hard as to bring it down. In any case,  that never happened during the numerous strong gales we've had over the last few years! A bit of a puzzle.

I thought I should make a closer inspection of the inside of the shed. To begin with, I didn't spot anything amiss. But then, on glancing up at the tool rack, I noticed a couple of empty slots at the back, near the corner of the shed. It then dawned on me that there should be a yard brush hanging there: an old, fairly decrepit - and certainly not valuable - broom. How odd! Had I used it somewhere on the plot last time I was there, and forgotten to put it away? The only part of my plot for which a broom is useful is the shed's "decking" (which consists of two old pallets), and it certainly wasn't there. The only conclusion I could draw is that it had been stolen. Very strange indeed. What a peculiar item to nick! And from the back of the shed - not immediately to hand.



It was at this stage I became aware of a couple of other weird things:

  • When I was last at the shed there had been (I think, though to be fair, I may be wrong in this) a plastic tub containing a very small amount of Growmore fertiliser, and this had been standing just inside the door, against the left-wall ... well not any longer!
  • My maple-syrup jar had gone!!!! This was a "souvenir" of our 2001 trip to Massachusetts - only a plastic flagon - and filled with water rather than the sweet stuff. I'd placed it as a sort of decoration on the decking, where it had stood, untouched, for at least a year. You can see, in the next photo, where it should be ...



So I am now in no doubt whatsoever that something untoward has taken place. But ...

Who was the culprit? 
When did it happen?
Most puzzling of all: why?

It's not as though the items taken had any intrinsic value. Nor was there any obvious damage. That could have been due, in part, to the fact I've never locked the shed - just fastened the door to with a bolt: I was originally advised that if the door is locked it indicates there may be something of value inside, and vandals will simply break it down. Well I've now fitted a padlock. (The door really needs replacing anyway!)

Update: the "plot" (get it?) thickens

Later the same day I encountered one of my allotment neighbours, and told him about what had happened. Intriguingly, it immediately rang a bell with him, and he recounted a tale concerning a series of seemingly similar (and equally inexplicable) occurrences - about 10 years ago! In one case, it appears, late one July night during a torrential rainstorm, several shed doors had been carefully removed. No damage had been inflicted, and nothing was apparently stolen. In another instance, a neighbour discovered a very subtle alteration to the arrangement of items inside the shed. Again, nothing of value was actually taken. My friend didn't go into much more detail, but hinted there'd been suspicions at the time that the culprit was one of the other allotment-holders "having a laugh". 

If that is the case it leaves a rather unpleasant taste in the mouth: as anyone familiar with allotmenteering will know, there is usually a remarkably generous community spirit, where everyone supports everyone else on the sight - very often lending a hand with jobs or donating surplus seeds, crops, etc. True, as in any organisation there will no doubt be political issues and underlying grievances; but these odd events appear not to be specifically targeted - ie are random - and so seem to make no sense.

I'm therefore left with three possibilities:

1. A genuine thief/vandal from the local area or beyond - unlikely, in view of the minimal impact;

2. A poltergeist - not very likely!

3. An on-sight jester - either the original, a "descendant" or a copy-cat!

Sadly, I fear the last of the three has the highest probability of being correct. Whatever, I felt I had to do something in response, so now there is this sign in the shed window:


We'll wait and see. I'll keep you posted!

No comments: