Saturday, January 07, 2012

Just Checking In

Today I noticed, with some embarrassment, that my most recent post - with the exception of this one - was April, 2009. Methinks much has happened since then. Not least the fact that I retired at the end of December, 2010. And since approximately Feb 2010 I've been the proud keeper of an allotment plot.

A further major endeavour has been to have solar PV installed on the house roof: 14 panels, for a nominal capacity of a little over 3.2kW. That was last February, and so far, the signs are very promising indeed. Less than one year of operation, and we've already clocked up in excess of £1250 worth of electricity. It has to be said, though, that this is largely due to the rather generous Feed-in Tariff of 43.3p per kWh. If the current proposal to half this for new adopters is allowed to go ahead then I fear, as do many, that it could deal a fatal blow to this important, but still fledgling, industry.

However, to return to my original purpose: having made lots of rather scruffy notes of a diary nature relating to my various horticultural activities, I'm looking to find a convenient way of recording them on-line. I'm toying with the idea of using my blog site for this. The problem is, it would have to be retrospective. That is, I would need to be able to post up entries from the past. I would also want it to be searchable. For instance, I might want to know when I sowed leeks in previous years, so I'd put "leeks" in as a search term. I suppose the obvious way would be to use tags.

Anyway, ideas always welcome.

No comments: