Saturday, April 19, 2008

Wish I could play like Keith!

The other day I chanced upon a Youtube clip of my greatest hero - Keith Jarrett - playing this improvisation in F major. Not to everyone's tase, admittedly, but it fair blew me away, I can tell you. So then - naturally - I thought: "OK, maybe it's not that hard. I'll give it a go". Oh yeah, right! I must be mad - but you know that by now already.

Of course my effort is nothing like KJ's. (Even I'm not that naive.) But his scintillating playing gave me the general idea. My attempt is much more of a balad; about 0.00001% the speed of Keith's! You'll find it's a one-finger-at-a-time job too, by comparison. With plenty of mistakes to boot. No. What am I talking about? It's improvised is it not? Therefore, by definition, it is 100% mistake-free. Ahaa! Anyway, here goes:

Mike's version of Keith Jarrett Improvising on F Major.

Ah well. I've been trying to play KJ's tune Country since approximately 1976, and failing miserably, so why should this be any better?

M:-)

No comments: